Cabbage is a fairly underrated vegetable I feel. It was a complete staple rising up in Russia, making its look in every little thing from borscht to savory pies. I can’t say that I cherished it again then, not except it was framed by some sort of dough (like in pirozhki), however my entire view of cabbage has modified fully as an grownup. I get pleasure from the truth that it’s tremendous reasonably priced and retains within the fridge ceaselessly. I additionally love that it’s versatile and might be eaten each uncooked and cooked, and I feel that we don’t prepare dinner it practically sufficient. Cooked cabbage takes on a complete new life – it turns into candy and silky tender, and will get the very best caramelized bits when cooked lengthy sufficient. This skillet with tofu and shiitake is a bit of tribute to the standard cabbage and all that it might do! It’s been on severe repeat in our kitchen these days.
We shortly marinate tofu in a gingery sesame marinade and brown it in a pan, adopted by leeks and shiitake. We then slowly sauté the cabbage and carrots till tender and caramelized, and taste them with the remaining marinade. We serve the cabbage combined with the leeks and mushrooms, studded with the golden tofu, and showered with toasted sesame seeds. This dish is surprisingly filling and may positively be a most important, however it might additionally make a pleasant facet or a element of a multi-course meal. Have an ideal Sunday!
Sesame Ginger Cabbage with Tofu and Shiitake
- 2-inch piece ginger – grated
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon tamari, plus extra for the greens
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha or different sizzling sauce
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- juice of 1 lime
- 14 ozextra-firm tofu, pressed and minimize in cubes or triangles
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons avocado oil or refined coconut oil – divided
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil – divided
- 1-2 leeks – white and lightweight inexperienced components solely, sliced
- eight ozshiitake mushrooms – stemmed and sliced
- 1 small head inexperienced cabbage – sliced thinly
- 1 medium carrot – julienned, minimize into sticks or grated
- sea salt
- freshly floor black pepper
- toasted sesame seeds – for garnish
- inexperienced onions and/or cilantro – for garnish
- Mix the ginger, tamari, vinegar, Sriracha, sesame oil, maple syrup, and lime juice in a shallow dish or giant bowl. Add the tofu and toss gently to coat. Go away to marinate whereas slicing the leeks, mushrooms, cabbage, and carrot.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of every avocado/coconut and sesame oil in a big pan over medium warmth. Add the tofu, leaving the marinade behind within the dish. Fry the tofu for 5-6 minutes, flipping each minute or two, till browned on most sides. Take away the tofu from the pan and put aside in a bowl.
- Add 1 teaspoon of every avocado/coconut and sesame oil to the pan, adopted by the leeks and shiitake. Add a beneficiant splash of tamari and sauté for 10-12 minutes, till the leeks are tender. Take away from the pan to the identical bowl because the tofu and put aside.
- Add the remaining 1 teaspoon every avocado/coconut and sesame oil to the pan, adopted by the cabbage and carrot. Add a pair pinches of salt and freshly floor black pepper, stir to coat. Sauté for about 5 minutes, till the cabbage wilts down by about ⅓-1/2 in quantity. Add 1 tablespoon of purified water, cowl the pan, and cut back the warmth to a medium-low. Prepare dinner, stirring periodically, for 10-15 minutes or longer, till the cabbage is tender and caramelized in components. Add the remaining marinade, improve the warmth to a medium and sauté till it is absorbed, a minute or so.
- Add the reserved tofu and greens/mushrooms to the cabbage, toss gently to mix and let every little thing heat again via. Style for salt and add one other splash of tamari if wanted. Serve sprinkled with sesame seeds and sliced inexperienced onions/cilantro.