Questioning find out how to fill your kitchen and pantry with wholesome actual meals so you possibly can prepare dinner nourishing meals even throughout emergencies? Listed below are my high recommendations on find out how to inventory a paleo pantry!
I’ve heard from many Nomsters—particularly those that are brand-new to Paleo—who’ve learn my Paleo 101 overview and need to dive proper in, however they don’t know find out how to prep for the journey. And whereas I’ve posted about my own residence pantry earlier than, I do know mine’s received a bit extra stuff than most folk want. (I inform myself it’s ’trigger I develop recipes for a residing now—however to be sincere, it’s additionally as a result of I’m a recovering hoarder.)
Prepared? Let’s fill your kitchen with all the good things that’s going into your loved ones’s stomach!
Fill up on protein!
I’ve stated it earlier than: Probably the most sustainable, nourishing, and flavorful animal protein comes from wholesome beasts that chow down on no matter nature meant them to eat. When filling up your freezer or fridge, prioritize the acquisition of grass-fed (and grass-finished) beef, lamb, and goat, in addition to pastured poultry/eggs and sustainable seafood.
Yeah, I do know—this stuff aren’t low cost, however I make it work by shopping for floor meat and lower-cost braising cuts (e.g., hen thighs, entire chickens, chuck roast, brisket, beef shanks, Boston butt roast). Plus, I at all times top off when there’s a sale.
I additionally maintain “emergency protein” on-hand to make sure fast meals each time I’m too drained, lazy, or harassed to whip up extra sophisticated recipes. These pre-cooked gadgets embody canned seafood, (like wild salmon, sardines, and tuna), hard-boiled eggs, sausages, and natural deli meat. And once I’ve received completely nothing in the home, I’ll swing by my native market and purchase a salt-and-pepper-seasoned rotisserie hen that I can serve with a large inexperienced salad. However to be frank, I attempt to at all times have stuff within the pantry, ’trigger the one means to make sure wholesome meals is to be ready!
Key factor to recollect: don’t make excellent the enemy of fine. Simply do the very best you possibly can. (True confession: we’ve got some cans of Spam within the pantry, too.)
On-line wholesome meat sources
I’ve personally shopped on-line at these distributors and extremely suggest their meat and seafood:
- Belcampo Meat Co.
- 5 Marys Farm
- Thrive Market
- US Wellness Meats
- Important Selection Seafood
Fruits and Greens!
Individuals wrongly assume that consuming Paleo is a MEAT FEST, however I respectfully disagree. Positive—on my dinner plate, you’ll discover a palm-sized portion of high-quality protein, however the remainder of my plate is overflowing with greens. It’s develop into a Paleo cliché, however I eat extra crops than I did once I dabbled in vegetarianism a few years in the past.
I prioritize buying in-season, pesticide-free produce and I make certain my household eats a wide range of fruits and veggies. After all, I’ve to guarantee that I really eat ’em as a result of there’s nothing worse than pulling open my vegetable crisper and discovering melted and moldy produce.
Greens and fruit with an extended shelf life:
- Winter squash (e.g. butternut, kabocha, spaghetti, and delicata varieties)
- Citrus (e.g. oranges, tangerines, lemons, grapefruit, and so on.)
- Cabbage (e.g. Napa, inexperienced, crimson, and savoy)
- Potatoes (retailer them in a cool, darkish place)
- Onions, shallots, and garlic
Inventory your freezer with veggies!
I additionally top off on “emergency greens” by stocking my freezer with natural frozen greens (e.g. kale, spinach, peas, blended greens, cubed squash, riced cauliflower, and so on.). In any case, when the veggies are pre-washed, pre-cut, and in my freezer already—I don’t have an excuse to not prepare dinner with them.
Wholesome Cooking Fat!
Change the bottles of extremely processed, omega-6 dominant vegetable oils in your cabinets with wholesome cooking fat like ghee, coconut oil, rendered animal fat (e.g., lard, tallow, bacon drippings, and duck fats), avocado oil, algae oil, or extra-virgin olive oil. Bear in mind: fats is just not the enemy. You simply want to ensure the fat you eat are the proper fat. (You’ll be able to learn extra about wholesome fat on this cooking fats primer by my pal, Diane Sanfilippo!)
No person needs blah meals, proper? I’ve sure gadgets on-hand on a regular basis that can magically remodel meat and veggies from boring to nomtastic! The primary factor to know is which components naturally enhance umami, the fifth style. I extoll the virtues of umami each time I can as a result of it really is the shortcut to deliciousness. You’ll be able to examine it in each of our cookbooks or hearken to this podcast episode to be taught extra.
Listed below are the flavour boosters that I inventory in my kitchen:
- Coconut Aminos: This darkish, salty, aged coconut tree sap tastes remarkably much like soy sauce, however with out gluten or soy. I mix it with fish sauce for the right seasoning.
- Crimson Boat Fish Sauce: Fish sauce is a staple ingredient in plenty of Southeast Asian cultures. It’s actually umami in a bottle. Sure, it smells just a little gross, however don’t choose a condiment by it’s nostril. A number of drops makes each savory dish style higher.
- Recent garlic, ginger, scallions: I do numerous Chinese language cooking so I at all times make certain I’ve these three gadgets readily available—the holy trinity of Cantonese cooking.
- Recent herbs: Recent herbs add brightness and taste to your meals, so ensure you have lots readily available. Watch this Periscope video to see how I retailer recent herbs in order that they last as long as two weeks.
- Dried spices and seasonings: My spice cupboard at all times accommodates dried thyme, bay leaves, garlic, and onion. I even have a number of spice blends which might be all-purpose seasonings (e.g. Magic Mushroom Powder or Primal Palate Adobo seasoning)—simply sprinkle it on a rubbish stir fry and also you’re golden!
- Assorted vinegars/citrus: Acids are a key element in cooking, and probably the most worthwhile taste enhancers in your pantry. A splash of vinegar or a squeeze of recent lemon or lime juice typically provides much-needed tartness and brightness to your completed dishes. Simply guarantee that your vinegars don’t comprise gluten (e.g., malt vinegar) or components.
- Ready sauces/dressings: It’s at all times higher to make your personal sauces and dressings from scratch, however to remain sane, I maintain a couple of bottles of marinara sauce, Thai curry paste, and salsa within the pantry. All function Paleo-friendly components, and allow me to rapidly throw collectively a meal. (Feeling bold? Make your personal Paleo-friendly sriracha. I also have a Complete30-compliant model!)
- Dried Mushrooms: Add a blast of umami to all of your stews and braises by tossing in a couple of reconstituted dried mushrooms. You can even use them to make the very best seasoning mix of all time, Magic Mushroom Powder.
- Tomato Paste: Only one spoonful will add depth and umami to your stews and braises.
- Bacon: Bacon is scrumptious, however I take advantage of it extra as a taste booster than as the primary dish. Be sure that the bacon you select is made with pastured pork and no loopy components. When you’re on a strict Paleo problem, keep away from bacon with added sugar. My youngsters go loopy over my Roasted Broccoli & Bacon, as a result of BACON.
I ceaselessly replace this Amazon retailer with my favourite paleo kitchen pantry gadgets, together with the stuff I discussed above!
Your mom is 100% right about water being one of the simplest ways to hydrate, and I’m not going to disagree together with her. You may make your agua fancier by including sliced fruit or cucumbers (spa water!) or you possibly can guzzle glowing water. However in case you’re craving one thing totally different, I suggest kombucha, assorted teas (with no sweetener or dairy), coconut water, or black espresso. Home made almond milk can also be type of superior. (Simply omit the vanilla extract in case you’re on a Complete30.) On chilly mornings, certainly one of my favourite drinks is a heat mug of bone broth, which you’ll retailer frozen in handy portion sizes. Don’t knock it ’til you attempt it!
After I began consuming Paleo, I found that I used to be loads much less hangry, and I didn’t must snack each couple of hours. As soon as my physique received acclimated to consuming actual meals once more and responding to my pure satiety cues, I discovered that I wasn’t hungry on a regular basis. In truth, whenever you go Paleo, you’ll in all probability solely attain for nibbles since you’re bored and feeling like chomping on one thing. If I’m at house and my abdomen rumbles ’trigger I didn’t fairly refill on my foremost meal, my snacks are usually mini variations of meals (like fruit or greens + protein + wholesome fats).
Packable paleo snacks!
After all, there will likely be instances whenever you’ll be travelling or caught in a Paleo wasteland in between meals (say, at work or college) and also you may need to have just a little one thing in your bag to tide you over. My favorites are salted and roasted macadamia nuts, beef jerky, and darkish chocolate (85-90% cacao). I don’t
take pleasure in sweets too typically, however once I do, I make certain it’s price it and I gained’t really feel horrible afterwards. (Reminder: When you’re doing a strict Paleo problem, it is best to keep away from even Paleo-fied variations of your favourite treats. Sugar remains to be sugar, even when it’s within the type of honey or maple syrup.)
Okay, Nomsters—maintain well-nourished and keep wholesome!
[Originally posted on December 28, 2015. Updated on March 15, 2020.]
On the lookout for extra recipe concepts? Head on over to my Recipe Index. You’ll additionally discover unique recipes on my iPhone and iPad app, and in my cookbooks, Nom Nom Paleo: Meals for People (Andrews McMeel Publishing 2013) and Prepared or Not! (Andrews McMeel Publishing 2017)!
The put up Stocking Your Paleo Pantry appeared first on Nom Nom Paleo®.
Stocking Your Paleo Pantry