Manner again within the day after I was first getting concerned about vegetarian cooking, I got here throughout Mollie Katzen’s recipe for a Cauliflower Cheese Pie, which fully blew my thoughts. Possibly you realize the one I’m speaking about? It’s such a traditional. I even developed a little bit tribute recipe to that pie for our first cookbook. This vegan cauliflower and leek model just isn’t as immediately impressed by Katzen’s pie, however I nonetheless fondly saved it in thoughts whereas engaged on this recipe. Cooked cauliflower itself already tastes sort of tacky to me, and when baked in a ‘tacky’ but in addition completely plant-based sauce like on this recipe, it’s full heaven. This pie additionally options caramelized leeks and an addictive, gluten-free onion-pecan crust that’s full of taste. It’s positively a particular sufficient savory pie for a vacation desk, and we are able to’t wait to make it once more for ours. Hope you’ll take into account it as effectively!
In the event you’ve been cooking plant-based for some time, you’ve most likely heard that boiled potatoes and carrots make for a surprisingly tacky sauce, when blended easy with a bunch of fragrant pantry staples like dietary yeast, garlic powder, and miso. On this recipe, we additionally add sun-dried tomatoes and smoked paprika to that sort of sauce, for an additional trace of umami and smokiness. We minimize an entire head of cauliflower into florets and brown it, then prepare dinner it till smooth on the stovetop, the place we additionally caramelize some leeks. The cauliflower, leeks and the sauce then get cozied up into the shortly pre-baked onion pie crust and baked all collectively. The crust is simply 5 substances, which is a real achievement for gluten-free baking 🙂 This pie is scrumptious the day of baking, however the leftovers are additionally wonderful (if not higher), so you might positively make it a day forward and reheat. We will likely be making the entire thing on our instagram tales this afternoon, when you’d wish to see the entire step-by-step course of. Pleased November! Wishing you all the heat and coziness.
Vegan Cauliflower and Leek Pie with Onion Crust
for the crust
- impartial oil for oiling the pie dish
- 1¼ cup floor pecans (grinding instructions within the recipe)
- ½ cup tapioca starch
- pinch sea salt
- 1 medium onion – roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons floor flax seeds
for the ‘cheese’ sauce
- 1 giant or 2 small white potatoes
- 1 medium carrot
- 2-Three solar dried tomato halves (soaked in scorching water if not oil-packed/if very dry) or 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ¼ cup non-dairy milk
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon miso
- 1 tablespoon dietary yeast
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- pinch of sea salt
for the cauliflower and leeks
- avocado oil or olive oil
- 2 giant leeks, white and light-weight inexperienced elements solely – thinly sliced
- sea salt
- purple pepper flakes – to style
- 1 giant head of cauliflower – minimize into florets
- Preheat oven to 400° F (200° C). Put together a 9″-10″ pie dish by oiling it effectively.
- Place a beneficiant 1 cup of pecans in a meals processor and grind right into a flour, taking care to not over-grind. Measure out 1¼ cups of the bottom pecans and switch that quantity to a big mixing bowl. Save the remainder of the bottom pecans for a future recipe, or see observe. Add the tapioca starch and salt to the bowl, combine to mix.
- Add the onion to the meals processor and puree it. It is okay to have some small onion chunks, however the puree must be fairly uniform. Switch the onions to a medium bowl, add the bottom flax and blend to mix. Let the combination sit for 10 minutes, letting the flax bloom. Add the combination to the bowl with the pecan flour and blend effectively to mix.
- Switch the crust dough into the ready pie dish and kind an excellent pie crust, utilizing a spoon and your arms. Place the crust in a freezer for 15 minutes to set.
- Cowl the crust with parchment paper and baking beans, and blind bake for 15 minutes. Take away the duvet and bake for an extra 5 minutes, till the bottom of the crust is dry to the contact.
- Mix all of the substances in a blender and mix till easy. Take care to not over-blend, in order that the starch within the potatoes would not give the sauce a gluey texture. Style for salt and alter if wanted.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F (175° C).
- Warmth about 1 tablespoon of oil in a big skillet over medium warmth. Add the leeks, a pinch of salt and purple pepper flakes and prepare dinner the leeks for 8-10 minutes, till they start to melt. Flip the warmth right down to low, cowl the pan and prepare dinner the leeks for an additional 10 minutes. Take away the lid, flip the warmth again as much as medium and prepare dinner for an additional 5 minutes, till the leeks are very smooth and considerably caramelized. Switch the leeks to a bowl and put aside.
- Wipe the pan clear and warmth one other tablespoon of oil over medium warmth. Add the cauliflower florets together with a pinch of salt and blend to coat. Distribute the cauliflower in a single layer and let sear, undisturbed, for about Three minutes, or till the undersides are properly browned. Combine and preserve cooking the cauliflower till smooth all through, for about 15 minutes. In case your cauliflower just isn’t softening, cowl the pan with a lid and switch the warmth right down to medium-low, letting it steam till smooth. Add the caramelized leeks and half of the ‘cheese’ sauce to the pan and blend to mix.
- Switch the cauliflower combination to the pre-baked crust, fastidiously night it out with a spoon. Add the remainder of the sauce on prime, night it out. Cowl the pie with parchment paper, foil, or a lid and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes, till barely browned on prime. Let cool effectively earlier than slicing.
When you have any leftover floor pecans, you may make a fast tacky sprinkle by mixing them with dietary yeast, sea salt, and black pepper to style. Sprinkle over this pie, pasta dishes, avocado toast, and so forth.