I’ve been occupied with making a sourdough starter and baking bread ever since I lastly obtained a Dutch oven this summer time. Spending all our time at dwelling lately opened up area for all types of long-term kitchen tasks. I lastly combined up a 100% rye, 100% hydration starter final week and it’s been so enjoyable to see it develop. Maintaining my arms busy with rewarding cooking duties has been so useful when it comes to getting out of my head these days. Cooking has all the time been a supply of solace round right here, however I by no means realized how a lot I rely upon it as meditation. Extremely suggest!
The seemingly counterintuitive factor about maintaining a sourdough starter is that it’s important to discard a superb quantity of it if you ‘feed’ it, which for me is twice a day. With out eliminating some starter at each feeding, you’ll rapidly construct up approach an excessive amount of of it, which in flip would require approach an excessive amount of flour to feed it. However there does come a degree, a few week in or so, when your starter is mature and the stuff you’re discarding can completely be used for baking. That’s the place sourdough discard recipes are available in. There are many them on the web, and you can also make something from pancakes (we’ve a recipe for that right here) to waffles, banana bread to English muffins. The opposite day, I wished to make use of up my discard that I’d been saving within the fridge, however I used to be additionally actually craving chocolate chip cookies, so I went for it and made these.
As soon as my starter obtained going, I saved my discard in a lined container within the fridge as an alternative of composting it and about 5 days in, I had sufficient to make these cookies. The 100% rye 100% hydration starter recipe that I’ve been following is right here (it’s tremendous detailed), however I believe that you could possibly use any starter discard for these cookies. The flavour of the cookies will range relying on the flour you utilize on your starter and the way bitter it’s. My rye flour starter introduced a beautiful earthiness and depth to the flavour of the cookies. When it comes to sourness, my discard was fairly younger and barely bitter, so there was only a trace of sourness that learn extra like complexity than easy sourdough taste.
Vegan Sourdough Chocolate Chip Cookies
Serves: makes about 12 4-inch cookies
- ½ cup refined coconut oil – stable or semi-solid
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- ½ cup sourdough starter/sourdough discard (I used this technique)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1¼ cup all objective flour
- beneficiant pinch of sea salt, plus extra for sprinkling on high
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup darkish dairy-free chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 360°. Put together a parchment-covered baking sheet.
- In a mixing bowl, mix the coconut oil and sugar, and blend with a fork till evenly included. Add the sourdough discard and vanilla, and blend properly. Add the flour, salt, and baking powder, and blend till you will have a unified cookie dough. Fold within the chocolate chips.
- Utilizing an ice cream scoop or a spoon, scoop out even parts of the dough and place on the ready baking sheet. Flatten the dough with the palm of your hand and form it into spherical cookies (these cookies is not going to broaden on their very own within the oven).
- Bake for 15-17 minutes, till the cookies are golden and the floor is considerably dry to the contact. Begin checking at 10-12 minutes. Sprinkle with extra salt if desired. Let cool for 20-30 minutes, ideally on a cooling rack. Get pleasure from!
These cookies are on the extra subtly candy facet, relying extra on the sweetness of the chocolate chips. In the event you like your cookies sweeter, enhance the quantity of sugar to ½ cup.